Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Life as a Marketing Major

 

I have issues. Clearly; But I mean issues beyond not being able to turn a blind eye to products strategically placed at the checkout (e.g. $5 DVD's such as "Jersey Girl", SpongeBob "backpack buddies" whose sales support the local humane shelter, ...) to lure impulse shoppers such as myself.

So, I set out to treat this "Badia a Coltibuono" as a step-up option to the make-you-cry Coltibuono. This "Badia a Coltibuono" was $22.99 vs. the make-you-cry Coltibuono at $17.99. Question is... in paying $5 bucks more, do you get more?

OK. So now I'm totally seeing this is a fruitless experiment. In general, I'd say the answer is always yes as long as you don't fall for brand names (or try to do this in the grocery store - heaven forbid).

But, ignoring the grocery-store-wine-shopping issues, I think this is clear cut. Yes, you typically get more. Especially if you stay in the same family - in this case, I'm considering "coltibuono" all the same family of wine. I'll investigate at another time to figure out what it is. And probably regret the fact I'm too lazy/busy/ADD to check it out now.

In the step-up world, you need to make a blind decision. You need to decide, sight unseen (or taste untasted, I guess) if the extra $5 buckaroos is worth it. Will you care? Would you notice? So it was these thoughts in mind when I decided to try the "better" bottle first.

It's better. End of story.

Badia a Coltibuono
2006
Chianti Classico
90% Sangioveto, 10% Canaiolo
Estate grown, Estate bottled


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

TL said...

great post! i like.