Thursday, August 27, 2009

Let's Play "2 Ups"


Let's Play "2 Ups"

It's a game I learned in LA from a dear friend that shall go unnamed (upon editing this post).

Whenever a night of drunken debauchery leads to ill-favored gossip about some poor victim (obviously not present) we must give them "2 Up's". Meaning, since we just totally defaced them, we must now say 2 positive things about this person so as to make us feel good about ourselves, because heck: We really were saying nice things about them too.

So, here we go:

2 up
Shiraz
2007
South Australia

The official "Two-up" game is an Australian one, consisting of two pennies flying and a paddle (I'm not sure what happens to the paddle). Apparently everyone "goes wild" until the game ends. I can't explain how to play the Australian two-up game... the bottle doesn't really explain it other than "everyone goes wild until the pennies land". I just can't imagine how long the pennies can be flying?

I have a problem with wines that focus too much on the backstory. It's cute, it's endearing, but it's a little purple cowboy. I also have a problem with wines that note on the label how critics love the wine... it's sort of the hang-tag problem for me. I can't buy a wine with a hang-tag that notes the "wine spectator" rating. Or says it's a "best buy".

Sounds like I need another glass of wine to take the edge off? You're probably right.

OK. Here we go with "our LA" version of "2-Ups"...

1. I listened to my favorite album of all time - Texas, White on Blonde, while drinking this wine. I really love that album.

2. I got an aerator that I was able to try out on this wine. It's called "Vinturi" and it makes a cool bubbling noise as you pour your wine into your glass AND makes me pour more than I should drink because I get distracted with the cool noise. I love my Vinturi.

So ... understand the 2-ups game? It's devilishly fun.



No comments: